Thursday, March 20, 2008

Poetry In Politics

Apparently there is a mystery poet operating in Downing Street. And the poet isn’t a fan of our very own Prime Minister. According to the BBC the rhyme goes:

"At Downing Street upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't Blair,
He wasn't Blair again today,
Oh how I wish he'd go away."
That’s how bad things have got, even within the Labour government. Brown is so unpopular, even with his colleagues, that a return to that grinning shit Blair seems like a good idea.

The chief suspect is John Hutton, who (again according to the BBC) once said "blooming awful prime minister - and I translate for the sake of decency". Now, I heard a slightly different version of the statement – namely that Brown would make a "fucking awful Prime Minister". Which makes me think that Hutton didn’t write those lines. Not profane enough. And that would be my main criticism of the poet – frankly, it doesn’t lay into Brown enough. I think it should read:

"At Downing Street upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn’t that lying, slippery horse’s arse Blair
It was that evil thief they all call Brown,
So I kicked him down the stairs, battered his head with a baseball bat, and trod on his throat until he breathed no more."
It doesn’t rhyme or scan as well as the first poem (hell, it doesn’t rhyme or scan at all, frankly) but I think the sentiments are more in line with the thinking of the British public. And the central message is something we can all get behind.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home