Monday, September 07, 2009

The Time Traveler's Wife

The Time Traveler's Wife is both a great novel and, despite my expectations, a great film. The story won't be to everyone's taste to be sure, but it does use the concept of time travel to tell a love story in a new and interesting way. Effectively, it is just a love story, and therefore not the sort of thing I'd typically enjoy; yet I enjoyed both the written and cinematic versions.

However, I have one small gripe with the film (I can't remember whether it is the same in the book, although I don't think it was) - why did the happy couple choose to have their first dance to "Love Will Tear Us Apart", as covered by Broken Social Scene? I know it is a great song, but Ian Curtis's tortured lament to the wife he betrayed and is about to make a widow really a good choice to celebrate a marriage? Sheesh. They may as well have gone with Nirvana's "Rape Me" or something.

Still, small niggle aside, I have to say the film is worth a quick trip to the cinema...

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 2:23 pm , Anonymous The Moai said...

More importantly - why did they have the *cover* and not the original?

Best wedding first dance song EVER - 'Too Drunk To F*ck' by The Dead Kennedys.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home