Sunday, August 27, 2006

The Nauseatingly Self-Absorbed Post

Does exactly what it says on the tin.

Spent quite a lot of yesterday stroking my chin and pondering life, the universe and everything (and I mean life, the universe and everything rather than the crappy book by the over-rated Douglas Adams). Partly because last week left me with one or two things to think about, but mainly because I had two day's worth of hangover to contend with and frankly doing anything other than sitting still and thinking was a bit painful.

One of the things that crossed through my mind was exactly what I am doing with this blog. Reading some of the previous posts, there is a level of anger and misanthropy that I don't feel in my day to day life. Sure I remain irritable and the smallest things can really piss me off, but the evolution of this blog into a collection of hectoring posts (particularly against our *beloved* political class) and little else is mildly surprising to me. No intention of changing the content of this blog, mind, but it was originally meant to be a little more eclectic than the way it has turned out.

For example, I have a post floating around in my head about how the lyrics to Morrissey's Irish Blood, English Heart make me feel patriotic, which is no mean feat given I feel no great bond with my home country. In fact, I would argue Morrissey's song would make a much better National Anthem that the dirge like, monarchy worshipping pile of toss that we currently use. I also have a blog about how much I love living in London, in spite of the tube, the number of people stopping me in the street and in spite of the exorbitant price of a pint because of the number of wonderful buildings and places. Seriously, go to St Paul's Cathedral and take a look. Regardless of your religion, it is awe inspiring. Go inside, and look at the ceiling. Feel the history in there, feel the passion. And if you still aren't convinced that there are things in London worth enduring the hundreds of minor irritants for, then all you have to do is leave the Cathedral and walk across the Millenium Bridge to the Tate Modern. I could write about how I think The Girl In The Fireplace is one of the most poetic and romantic stories I have ever encountered, in spite of being both Saturday night TV and being science fiction. But I don't write those posts. Instead I go onto the BBC website, see a story on there about something that gets under my skin, and spend 5 minutes venting about it online. Which makes this blog both good and bad - good that I have a random outlet for random anger. Bad that I am too lazy to put more varied posts on this site. So today's naval gazing aside, don't expect any changes or variety on The Appalling Strangeness. The standard post will say something like "John Prescott is a cunt." Mainly because he is.

But that got me thinking about something else. The use of profanity on this blog. My original thought was not to swear on here. As anyone reading this post will be aware, that has changed somewhat. There are several reasons for this. Firstly, as the Moai points out, the best of the right wing blogs have no issue with using swear words, so why should I? Also, in my day to day life I have no issue with swearing. The fact that I have no real accent (the closest to describing how I speak is received pronunciation) means I tend to be able to get away with being a little foul mouthed on occasion. So if I swear when I am speaking, it seems only natural to swear when I am blogging. But the real reason is this - I swear because sometimes profanity is the best way to describe someone. Take the statement "John Prescott is a cunt." Now I could say that Prezza is a cad, a bounder, an oaf, an ignorant fat pig, a misogynist, a lazy cliche, a talentless nadir for an administration that is now renown for lack of competence. And all those things would be true. But it is much more punchy, and effective, to say he is a cunt. I appreciate that some people find that word appalling (I have friends who refuse to say it) but it perfectly sums up how I feel about that pathetic bloater of a man.

But any road, that is enough jabbering from me. I am off to watch the tele', go for a walk, and maybe find something on the BBC website to rant about...

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 10:33 am , Blogger The Moai said...

Naval gazing? What, like looking at HMS Belfast?

It's only natural to wonder why you're doing this. I did. Never really answered the question either. If I ever return to regular blogging it'll be a one-topic blog - namely, Sir Ian Blair, because he provides *wonderful* material.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home