Monday, February 23, 2009

The Oscars

*Yawns*

I've never really seen the point of the Oscars. Yeah, there are some excellent films out there, but they are celebrated through good box office returns and great reviews. Does there really need to be a ceremony to hand out gold statues to those films and performers that are (somewhat arbitrarily) deemed to be the best?

And why does the media in this country get so excited when a British film manages to win anything? Slumdog Millionaire could be a great film for all I know, but was Danny Boyle really the best director of last year? To my mind, any director would struggle to beat the technical accomplishment of Christopher Nolan for The Dark Knight.

Also, I'd like to have seen Mickey Rourke take Best Actor, because his performance in The Wrestler was outstanding. But again, maybe Penn did deserve to win. I don't know, I've not caught Milk as yet.

But this is the real point. I agree with some of the Oscar awards (Heath Ledger's, for example) whilst disagreeing with others. But I don't care enough to properly protest any of the choices. Ultimately, the Oscars represent Hollywood at it's most self-regarding. Good luck to 'em, but it all leaves me a little cold. 

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 7:27 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel this way about all celebrity awards. The only time is's worth watching is when some one thinks they are getting an award and then it goes to some one else. It's always great when the camera zooms in for a close up on some one struggling not to show their WTF? face.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home