Saturday, February 21, 2009

Selling Out

Has Iggy Pop sold out by doing those insurance adverts? Probably. Do I give the first fuck? No.

People sell out; it happens all the time. I sell out every time I go into work. I'm not saying I don't like my job; in fact, it can be great. But when I was kid the last thing I wanted to do was work in commerce and industry in an office. My vision of artistic integrity was absolute, and my teenage self would be appalled at what I am doing now.

But guess what; my teenage self was a bit of an arse, and didn't have bills to pay. Sure, I'd like to lounge around all day, working on my perfect first novel. But I'd also be penniless, and in return for food, wine, and a roof over my head, I'm more than happy to sell out. And you can bet your life that if I ever was a celebrity, I'd have no issue with doing an advert. Morals and integrity be damned; give me a boatload of cash and I'll endorse whatever crap you are hawking.

And I guess that is what has happened with Iggy Pop - his solo career has not been exactly sky-rocketing of late, so maybe the chance to make some money through advertising was just too good to turn his nose up at. 

If anything, Pop shouldn't be criticised for doing adverts. If you want to criticise him for anything, then it should be the quality of the adverts. Which are, frankly, fucking dreadful. 

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 9:12 am , Blogger Mitch said...

I wondered who that irritating git was,thanks for clearing that up.

 
At 5:49 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

His music's crap too.

w.v. wailleur - precisely.

 
At 5:52 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So is my typing!

Link to site is wrong.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home