Friday, January 16, 2009

Miracle in the Hudson

Regular readers of this blog will be aware of my fear of flying. And as well as making every single flight into what I would call an abject misery, this phobia has other symptoms. I am morbidly fascinated by air disasters, and have wasted many a terrifying hour on airsafe.com. It isn't a healthy thing to do; it is the mental equivalent of scab picking. But somehow, air disasters mesmerise me.

Furthermore, I scour news reports of air crashes, looking at the photos like one of those godawful gawpers at the scene of a road accident. I study the photos, looking for the causes of the crash - something I am neither professionally qualified not emotionally capable of doing effectively. I want to know what caused the crash, and how it could have been avoided. And I know any sort of knowledge is not going to help me; in fact I know that it will just make things worse as I will know exactly what could go wrong.

Except... except sometimes reports of air crashes can be amazingly comforting for me. Take yesterday's events in NYC - a plane goes down with over a hundred people on board, yet they all walk away*. This is wonderful - obviously for those concerned, but also to those who are afraid of flying. Because, as this great essay makes perfectly clear, it isn't a fear of flying. It is a fear of dying. In a plane crash. Of burning to death in a sealed coffin of raging flames, melting plastic and redhot mettle. It is being smashed into a thousand pieces as the plane hits the ground. It is... actually, I'll stop there. That talk just isn't helping.

Because whilst some talk of this being a miracle, it really wasn't. A combination of factors meant that disaster was averted. The actions of the pilot, the quick response of the emergency services, the fact that the aircraft was designed to float - that saved the lives yesterday. Not a miracle, but procedures, training and design all working together to save lives when birds take out aircraft engines**.

On balance, if something goes wrong with your aircraft whilst it is in the air, then you're fucked. However, stories like this change that balance slightly. Yes, you're probably fucked. But engineers have considered that your plane might need to float, the pilot is highly trained and will do what he can to deal with the issue and the emergency services will be with you ASAP. It is a small comfort, sure; but where flying is concerned, I'll take all the comfort I can find.

*Re-reading the article, I see someone had two broken legs. In fairness, they probably didn't walk away from the air crash.
**Bloody birds. Never trusted 'em. Hitchcock was right.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 9:54 pm , Blogger Jon said...

My American lady friend (yes, and she's not blind) flew back to Arizona yesterday. She went standby since she has connections with an airline. First leg was Gatwick to New York. Her itinerary then put her on Flight 1549 from La Guardia to Charlotte. From there she would fly to Phoenix and thence Tucson.

At 11 p.m. London time I heard the news. You can imagine what sort of night I had. Then I got an email from her: she'd been bumped off the Charlotte flight and was going via Baltimore instead.

 
At 10:59 pm , Blogger banned said...

It worries me that after a century or so of manned flight we can still be brought down by a flock of seagulls FFS !

 
At 3:50 pm , Blogger Devil's Kitchen said...

"**Bloody birds. Never trusted 'em. Hitchcock was right."

I hate to be pedantic*, but the film of The Birds was based on a short story of the same name, written by Daphne du Maurier...

DK


* This may not be entirely true.

 
At 9:17 pm , Blogger The Nameless Libertarian said...

Yeah, I was in two minds as to whether to cite the short story (which I'd argue is superior to the film, which in itself is pretty damn good) or the film. I went with the film as more people will have heard of it.

The very fact that I have such internal debates may indicate a certain amount of pedantry on my part...

TNL

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home