Thursday, January 15, 2009

Illustrating Expansion

I'm not one of these people who wants to bang on endlessly about how biased the BBC is. Yeah, I think there probably is a bias there, but I reckon there is a bias at every news source. It is a mark of the readers intelligence that they are able to differentiate the facts of a story from that bias.

That said, every now and again I see something on the BBC news website that really jars with me. Like this photo, attached to the link to their latest story about expanding Heathrow:

Sweet Jesus, it is difficult to think of a less appropriate image for a story about airport expansion short of posting a picture of 9/11. In that picture the plane looks like it is intimidating the house at best. At worst, it looks like the plane is about to land on the house. Or just crash straight into it. It seems to shriek "if the airport is expanded, then planes will land on your house."

There's going to be a big debate about expanding Heathrow; pictures like this simply do not help that debate.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:14 am , Blogger Jonny said...

All news sources are biased, that's true.

It's just that I get to choose whether or not I pay for all the others.

 
At 8:10 am , Blogger AloneMan said...

I'd be interested to know where that picture was taken - but I'd be willing to bet it wasn't Heathrow. Ther are some airports, eg Manchester, where planes fly very, very low over rooftops, but Heathrow isn't one of them.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home