Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Gordon does something good!

Albeit unintentionally.

As has widely been reported and promoted elsewhere, there is a campaign going on at the moment to raise enough money to get a slogan on the side of a bus that suggests that God doesn't exist, and that we should all just get on with enjoying our lives. The neutrality of the message has won me over as a supporter - I can't be bothered with militant atheism (I can't be bothered with anybody who is shrilly evangelical about any belief - believe what you like, just shut up about it when you are around me) but the message is a nice counterpoint to the increasingly ubiquitous Alpha course and other demented religious advertising. If you want the atheists to have their say and are also sick of Christian advertising and evangelicals, then you can sign up here.

And whilst you are there, take a look at some of the totals. As I write the campaign has made £55,288.90 - the target was a mere £5,500.00. And, best of all, the Gift Aid stands at £13,039.22 - that's right, over £13k of government money is going towards the promotion of atheism.

I wonder how Gordon Brown, who was raised by a minister of the Church of Scotland, feels about that?

So this campaign is pissing off evangelicals at the same time as probably pissing off Gordon Brown. And as such, it is one of the most worthwhile causes I think I have come across for a good, long time.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home