Thursday, September 04, 2008

Getting on with the job

Ladies, Gentlemen, we have a new euphemism. Following on from 'the Prime Minister expressed his full support for me we now have "I'm getting on with the job." This is a good example from the soon to be former Met Chief Sir Ian Blair:

'..."As Mark Twain said after reading an account of his own death in the New York Journal 'The report of my death is an exaggeration'. Same here. I have a job to do. I'm getting on with it and will continue to do so."'
And one from the man who seems to use it the most, Prime Minister Gordon Brown:

'...Challenged by David Cameron, the Conservative leader, to call a general election after the loss of Glasgow East to the Scottish National Party, Mr Brown said he was "getting on with the job".'
There is even a example from the world of sport: check out this headline.

When someone says they are getting on with the job, they mean they are sticking their heads in the sand and trying to hide from the inevitable. Or at least, that's what I hope - after all, it would be just great if both Ian Blair and Gordon Brown could finally be consigned to the dustbin of history...

This post was researched, and pretty much completely written by the Moai. Which is why I am giving him credit for it. Well, some credit for it. In small writing. At the very bottom of the page. Nice, eh? I guess I am just that sort of giving person.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home