Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Death by Dangerous Driving

See, I tend to support the police. I don't know why; maybe it is because I've known some police officers who are good people trying to do a tough job in trying circumstances. Yes, sometimes they fuck up. Sometimes they fuck up really badly. But when they do I think it is about the pressure they are under, rather than any malice or incompetence.

Plus, I wasn't there. So I am judging this story based on the reporting in the media, which is not always the most reliable way to judge an event. You have to look at the bias of the reporters, and tally that with their desire to spin a good yarn.

But, honest to Christ, I can't help but feel that the police fucked up badly with this one.

Look at the facts: a police car travelling at 100 mph. Without any lights on. Said car hits a teenage girl, knocking her 50ft down the road. Tragically, yet inevitably, that girl dies. Her boyfriend is understandably upset. So the police taser him. As you do. Pretty much standard practice, I'd have thought, with grief stricken relatives and friends. Give the whining fuckers a massive electrical blast. That'll make them feel better.

Of course, other facts might emerge. Maybe the police weren't travelling as quickly as the witnesses thought. Maybe there was some sort of mitigating circumstances that meant they needed to be travelling so fast, although I cannot for the life of me work out what they might be. Perhaps there is a reason to help to explain this awful tragedy. Maybe. But as it stands, it seems to be the fault of the police, pure and simple. And unless some pretty fucking radical mitigating circumstances come to light, I hope the police concerned are prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home