Wednesday, May 21, 2008

A change is as good as a rest

Of course, Doctor Who is getting both despite needing neither. There will be just three specials next year, and when the show returns, it will have a new show runner. And whilst any change to a winning formula is concerning, but if you had to chose a new chief writer and exec producer for the series, Steven Moffat would be at the top of the list.

After all, he wrote the magnificent The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances, which made the innocent phrase “Are you my mummy?” absolutely terrifying. He also came up with The Girl in the Fireplace, a love story for our favourite Time Lord that also managed to be unsettling. And the Weeping Angels as depicted in Blink will linger in the nightmares of this generation of sprogs. As I noted just a few days ago, Steven Moffat would certainly be in the running for greatest Doctor Who writer of all time.

Plus, he is quite funny, as this quote from him on winning his dream job shows:

"My entire career has been a Secret Plan to get this job. I applied before but I got knocked back cos the BBC wanted someone else. Also I was seven. Anyway, I'm glad the BBC has finally seen the light, and it's a huge honour to be following Russell into the best - and the toughest - job in television. I say "toughest" cos Russell's at my window right now, pointing and laughing."
Until they give me the job of Chief Writer (fuck knows why they would, but I am ever hopeful) Moffat is a damn good choice.

Of course, with change in the air, it may be that we are going to see further change for the series. So, at what price a new Doctor, and I wonder who will be playing him?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home