Saturday, March 10, 2007

Soap Operas make me drink!

Mr Eugenides highlights the latest, evil, terrible scourge on the nation's youth - yes, it is true -soap operas are making our children drink by showing people drinking as part of every day life!

Bastards!

Of course I might point out that the actions of the shitheads and slags in Eastenders and dour northern cockmonkeys in Coronation Street are likely to be far more influential on the nation's youth than the shameless crack antics and coke antics of fashionable rock star Pete Doherty and fashionable model Kate Moss being constantly highlighted by the media. I might also point out that soap operas (at least nominally) claim to reflect reality - and unless the dead tree press is lying to me, heavy drinking is part of everyday life. So of course they show people drinking. And I could also point out, as a former retailer and liqour licence holder, that it is illegal for those under the age of 18 (the *youth*, if you will) to buy booze. So those who illegally sell drink to the youth may be more to blame than the soap operas.

But you know what? I think soap operas do make people drink - namely, me. That's right - Eastenders, Emmerdale et al make me drink. Not because they show boozing on screen, but because they are on screen. The fact that the only thing on TV before nine pm is aimless soap opera dross means I have to go out for beers every evening after work...

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 2:54 pm , Blogger Jackart said...

God, she's dreadful...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home