Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Like Flames Around The Sun

To something other than politics... namely, music. Or more particularly, U2 winning the competition for the best lyric - ever. Now, I quite like One, but I cannot see how this has won this award. Likewise, Morrissey has come up with some very moving/clever lyrics, but How Soon Is Now? is a fairly dirge like song and the lyrics quoted in the chart are just an observation of a rubbish teenage night out. I could go on, and attack each and every lyric in the chart (don't get me started on Yellow) but that is not my point.

Basically, as the BBC points out, John Lennon's Imagine topped a similar poll in 1999 but is not in the Top 5 of this poll. The Nation's Favourite lyric will change from year to year, probably from month to month, and possibly from day to day. How do I know this? Well, my favourite song lyric changes from day to day. Earlier in the week, I would have said it was Shine by New Order subsidiary Monaco. Today? Well, without a shadow of a doubt it is L.Wells by Franz Ferdinand. And next week? It will probably be something completely different again.

Although I am impressed by Pink Floyd doing so well here: Roger Waters is genuinely one of the greatest lyricists there has ever been.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home