Monday, April 10, 2006

"They were the only ones who stood by you"

I see Morrissey is at the top of the album charts. Frankly I am staggered - who is still buying his records? Morrissey makes music for miserable teenagers. Don't get me wrong, I think the Smiths were one of the best bands of the 1980's. The Queen Is Dead is a classic album. But Morrissey solo is nowhere near as good as the Morrissey of the Smiths. And most importantly - surely all those teenagers who fell in love with the Smiths have grown up now?

Morrissey himself predicted that he would fade away. In the excellent song Rubber Ring he sees his fans - those who depend on his music for an emotional crutch - growing up, becoming happy, and forgetting about him. With a wry self pity he says "And when you're dancing and laughing/And finally living/Hear my voice in your head/And think of my kindly/Do you/Love me like you used to?" The logical turn of events is the teenagers grow up, and Morrissey becomes a fond memory.

So how is a man who is resolutely unable to move on emotionally in his music number one in the album charts?

I'm probably the missing the point.

This really amused me. Alan Milburn positioning himself as Blair's successor. A failed health minister, a failed general election campaign manager, and one of the few people in New Labour who genuinely appears more media obssessed than Blair himself - Milburn, you haven't got a chance. But I suppose when one of Blair's few other high profile supporters is this man, Milburn suddenly appears to be a good choice.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 11:51 am , Blogger Serf said...

I still like to dust of the Smiths from time to time and dance like a moron around the living room.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home