Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The royal engagement

In its slightly gushing and sickening article on the coming royal wedding, the BBC asks:
What is your reaction to the news of the Royal engagement? What message would you like to send Prince William and Kate Middleton?
First question first, I think. What is my reaction to the news of the royal engagement? Well, the curiously ambivalent feeling of irritation and apathy. Apathy because I don't much care about a couple who I don't know, don't care about and will never meet getting engaged. Irritation because the whole world is going to bang on about this marriage right up until the day it dominates the UK's TV schedules and the two actually get married. I don't want to have to care about the royal wedding - I'd rather just forget about it. But the media, and the unthinking, dumb royalists who lap up this sort of shit, will almost certainly not let me.

As for sending a message - well, in the highly unlikely event that William and Kate care in any way, shape or form about my opinion, I'd like to send them individual messages. Kate - are you sure about this? With every passing day, William looks more like his father. And have you seen his father recently? You're going to end up married to a jug-eared oaf who wears a constant rictus grin on his face. He's not going to look better with age. And William - I'd just like to say that I think you are your family are an unacceptable burden on this country, and I really wish you would all have the dignity of pissing off out of the limelight and ending your dependance on the public purse.

I can't stomach the royal family - never been able to, and that is unlikely to change in the near future. Particularly since it appears that this latest bout of regal nuptials is going to force so much attention on such an undeserving family.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home