Friday, September 24, 2010

On Wikipedia

Yes, I use Wikipedia on this blog. And I really didn't think there would be a problem with doing so. But, after a couple of idiotic comments and a wonderfully abusive e-mail, I thought I'd explain why I use Wikipedia.

See, it's an easy resource. It is also often accurate - not always, but enough to make it a relevant resource, despite its numerous authors/contributors. And therefore it works well for this blog. See, this blog is not an academic work - it is not a collection of detailed articles destined for publication in various journals. Its a collection of random observations, of quickly written, would-be topical posts on current political issues (and - yes - music, Doctor Who, films etc). There's a place for exquisitely researched writings. This is not it.

So, yeah, I use Wikipedia. If you don't like it, or don't rate it, or whatever, then go elsewhere.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 1:42 pm , Blogger TonyF said...

I find that Wikipedia is accurate if you are looking at technical things. If you look up a personality, however, anything seems to go.

 
At 10:52 pm , Blogger Surreptitious Evil said...

The one reference to me, inaccurate actually, in Wikipedia, is to people using Wikipedia in academic journal articles.

Yes, I referenced it. It was a part of a (admittedly attempting to be subtle) joke. But not in an academic journal.

 
At 11:09 pm , Blogger The Nameless Libertarian said...

This blog was once cited as a reference on a Wikipedia article. About Jack Straw. Pretty sure all I've ever done on this blog was call Straw an authoritarian cunt,

As with almost every source, I think Wikipedia is best treated with a hefty pinch of salt. More often than not I think it is accurate, but if you're reading something that smells like bullshit, it probably is.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home