Saturday, August 28, 2010

NHS Direct

So... NHS Direct is being culled. Unlike so many others, I just have to shrug my shoulders and say "oh" with an overwhelming sense of crushing apathy. It is not so much that I don't care; it is more that I can't even bring myself to care about the fact that I don't care. The fact that GPs have called for it to be cut makes me, if it were possible, even more apathetic.

Yet people moan, and people bleat. For the life of me, I can't figure out why. Unless it is the fact that NHS Direct has the acronym NHS in it, and that acts as a flashpoint for idiots. "You can't cut the NHS!" they scream, like an unthinking mob of would-be right-on campaigners. However, the fact that the campaign to save this glorified health call centre is being spearheaded by that fat cunt John Prescott convinces me that this is not so much a storm in a tea-cup as a fart in a tea-cup; the sort of campaign only of interest to the terminally whiney - the sort of mindless statist chumps who should, at best, be politely patronised and, at worst, just plain ignored.

Grow up, people. And get a grip while you're doing it.

Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 8:19 pm , Blogger Old Holborn said...

Nice to see Prezza dissing a policy labour put in their manifesto

http://www.labour.org.uk/manifesto/a-personal-nhs

 
At 8:20 pm , Anonymous Mr Civil Libertarian said...

Let's not forget that the 111 scheme was not only in Labour's manifesto, but the trails were also ordered under the previous govt.
http://www.smarthealthcare.com/111-pilot-09jul09

This is labour's idea. They're just pissed they're not the ones implementing it.

Pretty run of the mill realpolitik, if you ask me.

 
At 8:25 pm , Blogger The Nameless Libertarian said...

Yup, I've heard that this was originally a Labour policy. Which makes the incessant fucking whining from labour types even more unbearable.

 
At 12:37 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I owe NHS Direct a lot. When my father fainted and cut his head, I told my parents over the phone to call an ambulance.

"Oh, he'll be all right."

"GET AN AMBULANCE!"

"Don't make a fuss! He'll be all right!"

My partner then advised my parents (who, in all fairness, grew up in a more self-sufficient era) to phone NHSDirect and *confirm* that there was no need for a doctor. This they did, and NHSDirect told them in no uncertain terms that an ambulance was needed and on its way.

When my father got to the hospital, routine checks discovered the massive internal haemorrhage that had caused him to black out and hit his head. Eight pints of blood later, Dad recovered and is presently fine.

Without NHSDirect... Let's not even go there.

 
At 1:18 pm , Blogger The Nameless Libertarian said...

Anonymous,

NHS Direct could be substituted for any other part of that massive behemoth and the end result would still be the same. Besides, if it came to it, I don't doubt that you or your partner would have called for an ambulance on behalf of your father if it came to it.

TNL

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home