Sunday, March 21, 2010

Let's NOT have a Christian song as Easter No.1...

Regular readers will be aware of both my predilection for commenting on stupid Facebook groups and on my general antipathy towards religion. So when I came across a group called "Christian music topping the UK Charts!", a blogpost became inevitable.

Let's see what this group of shrill God-botherers want to achieve:
This is a trumpet call to unite all online Christians throughout the UK to make history. Put aside talk of bunnies, chocolates and egg-hunts this Easter and let's hear the message of Jesus Christ sweep the airwaves as we take Delirious to the No.1 spot!
You can, should you have more faith than brain cells, read more about the campaign here.

Now, I don't really care who is Easter No.1 - the chances are that it will be a shit song that I'll never hear that makes it to the top of the charts on Easter Sunday. And let's face it, being Easter No.1 lacks the prestige of being Christmas No.1. Furthermore, with this campaign being squarely aimed at the Christian God-botherers, there's a natural fanbase for this that makes the number of fans they have got so far something of an inevitability, and therefore not as impressive as the campaign to get Rage Against the Machine to Christmas No.1 last year. But even with all of these caveats built in, I can't help but be irritated by this craptacular campaign.

As an atheist, I don't really celebrate Easter. And I do understand that bunnies, chocolate and egg-hunts are not, strictly speaking, what Easter is about - at least from a Christian point of view. But I also think - and I think the Bible will back me up here - that Easter is also not about gaining a whole shitload of publicity for a blander than bland band simply because they choose to warble on religion the whole fucking time. Want to celebrate your Messiah? How about going some good for people as a whole, rather than championing a band who have been around for as long as Radiohead but with just a fraction of the success? Because I'm pretty sure that the example given by Christ at Easter deserves a little more gravitas than pushing a song by a band that makes Coldplay look fucking butch up the charts.

Still, I'm hopeful that this campaign will ultimately come to nothing, as some many Facebook campaigns do. But if there is even a hint that this lot might succeed in their stupid fucking objective, then I might start my own Facebook group - a campaign to get an atheist song to the top of the charts. Probably "Dear God" by XTC. Because, if nothing else, it is a far better song than anything Delirious? have ever produced...

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At 8:45 pm , Blogger Quiet_Man said...

I saw Delirious, they weren't too bad, not exactly chart toppers, but they had talent and a lot of energy.

 
At 9:33 pm , Blogger The Nameless Libertarian said...

I saw once as well, and I thought that they were like soft cheese that has gone off - bland, and difficult to digest.

 
At 4:18 pm , Blogger david cameron's forehead said...

They could try having a chant. I was reading about a Russian Orthodox chant called Eternal Memory, which is often referred to in works referring to Russian life & culture (for example, in the first line of Dr Zhivago) so I listened to it.

I thought it was fucking great, actually. If we are to have a Christian song, it should be something like that.

 
At 4:20 pm , Blogger david cameron's forehead said...

It was on Youtube that I listened to it.

Despite being an atheist, I've got a vague sort of interest in foreign religious services. I'd like to attend a German Lutheran service, a Greek Orthodox, & for that matter an old-school Anglican service. It strikes me as a good way of familiarising yourself with a culture. Short of eating a meal in a family home, I can't think of a much better way.

 
At 10:33 pm , Blogger The Nameless Libertarian said...

Oh, I find Delirious? so tedious. It may be a good Christian rock song, but let's be honest - the competition ain't fierce.

Aside from the fact that even within the Christian tradition Easter isn't about pushing shitty plod rock records to the top of the charts, what really aggravates me is this notion that Delirious? deserve a Number 1 simply because it is Easter and they are a Christian band. If they were any good, then they would have had a No.1 by now. Instead, we are having a lacklustre band foisted to the top of the charts simply because they worship an invisible sky-fairy. Which does my head in.

TNL

 
At 9:10 pm , Blogger david cameron's forehead said...

If that was addressed to me, I haven't heard the Delirious song & don't plan to, as with my magic powers I foresee it will be fucking shite.

I was talking about this chant:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77GebvPh8as

Sorry if I wasn't clear in expressing myself in the above comments. I'd hate anyone thinking I liked "Christian rock". Why the fuck would anyone bother with a halfway house? It pisses me off when people profess a religion but don't take it seriously. At least fundamentalists are consistent in their own fuckwit way.

I also dislike people who are atheists but "pro-faith" (for other people). Because it's either true or it's not.

 
At 9:17 am , Blogger The Nameless Libertarian said...

Ah, that makes more sense! I thought given your disdain for all things religious, that it was a little odd that you were praising Delirious?. Who are really shit as well as being Christian.

I remain tolerant of those who have faith, and of their right to listen to dreadful music. Actually, that's not quite true - I remain tolerant of their right to have faith. I'm not tolerant of the actual content of said faith ...

I'll have a listen to the chant when I get a spare few minutes...

TNL

 
At 11:53 am , Blogger david cameron's forehead said...

You may not think much of this chant. I was just interested to hear it after reading so much about it. While attending religious services isn't really most people's cup of tea, I just thought that in foreign countries it's an excellent way of getting the feel of what a place is truly like rather than engaging in tourist trap wank.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home