Thursday, March 18, 2010

A Hung Parliament

Voters are getting used to the idea of a hung Parliament, and some are even actively wanting one:
Voters remain unconvinced by the Conservative alternative, with 29% thinking a clear Tory victory would be best. Only 18% think Britain would be best served by a strong Labour win this spring. Both groups are outnumbered by the 44% who want a hung parliament in which the government works with smaller parties such as the Liberal Democrats.
Of course, before anyone gets too excited about the voters being fully committed to a hung parliament, it has to be noted that for the past few weeks the idea of a hung parliament has been remorselessly dragged into the political spotlight by all media outlets for the last few weeks. The people are probably not buying into the idea of a hung parliament, more responding to the narrative mercilessly created and perpetuated by a media desperate to make this tedious pre-election period into something more interesting.

But I think now more than ever it is worth not only considering, but proactively selling, the idea of a hung parliament. Labour since 1997 have shown the devastation that can be wreaked on this country by a party with a large majority. Furthermore, a decent coalition - ideally between the Liberal Democrats and the Tories - would arguably be the best outcome for Libertarians like myself. The government would be severally constrained, and therefore less able to spend money and less able to encroach on our freedoms. At the same time, the Liberals would constrain the social conservatism of the Tories, while the Tories could constrain the social democracy of the Liberals. And then there's the fact that both parties agree on some key areas, like the need to abandon the ID cards schemes.

In fact, I'd actively encourage people to do what they can to help achieve a hung parliament - or, more specifically, a coalition between the Tories and the Lib Dems.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 7:54 pm , Blogger asquith said...

The problem I'm facing is that I've always lived in safe Labour seats. So I thought to myself that if I vote Lib Dem it is a vote for the party of Evan Harris, of Phil Willis, & so on rather than a vote for Europhilia or other policies I've opposed. Because Labour are almost certain to win, I can support my local Lib Dem without having to worry about them putting shite policies through, though it is a bit annoying that I'll have no impact.

It will also be good to not be voting for Camoron. I know my voice isn't likely to be heard but one more in the column of those who were never with him won't go amiss.

I haven't decided whether I favour a hung parliament or a Conservative victory, I can't relly see beyond getting the Labour cunts out.

As for there being an ideal party- it wouldn't be LPUK as I am not a libertarian, & I don't see who it would be. Did you read this about some fucker standing as an independent?

http://heresycorner.blogspot.com/2010/03/experiment-in-democracy.html

I am cool to it, & I think little of Jury Team, who apparently are still around. I'd rather a mainstream party adopted my views than support an independent who is a totally unknown quatity. But in general, it's a fairly shite state of affairs.

 
At 11:09 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The dream ticket would be Conservatives supported by UKIP and, before you say UKIP have no seats, that will continue to be the case so long as people continue voting for one of the three main parties.

Look at it this way: if my vote will not count then I might as well cast it for the party that gets closest to my views.

I think that the underlying support for UKIP may not become clear until after the election and I believe that it may come as a great suprise to everyone.

So, I might also become part of a historic migration from mainstream Conservative and others in an election that will not only change the political landscape but will also change Conservative fondness for pink politics.

If not, hey ho, my vote does not count anyway

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home