Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Queen's Speech

From the BBC:
Key measures in the Queen's Speech include a crackdown on excesses in the City and a legal obligation to halve the budget deficit within four years.
I'd rather there was a proper crackdown on government excesses than those of the City. After all, if the government goes tits up, then we still have to pay for it. Whereas if City firms go out of business, then it costs us remarkably little. Unless the government chooses to bail them out at the taxpayers' expense. But they would never be dumb enough to do that, now, would they? Oh, wait...

And a legal obligation to halve the budget in four years... well, fine. It would be nice to know how, but I'm sure the legal obligation will focus the mind. As long as halving the budget doesn't come at the taxpayers' expense, this aspiration is fine by me. Although I can't help but think that if half this spending is so expendable that it can be got rid of in less than half a decade, then it probably wasn't worth it in the first place. But I've made a sort of peace with the fact that Nu Labour have spunked away eye-wateringly large amounts of money in achieving precisely nothing. It still makes me very, very angry, but I try not to dwell on it these days.
Mr Brown told the Commons Labour was the "only party with the policies to build a long-term recovery".
You keep telling yourself that, dear. The only thing you have working in favour of your feverishly delusional hypothesis is that Labour were the bunch of cunts who created the current situation, so they have some sort of idea of how to reverse it. But I won't be holding my breath.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home