Tuesday, August 18, 2009

(London) Oxford Airport

Controversy ahoy as Oxford Airport rebrands itself:
A headline on the company's website now reads: "Welcome to London Oxford Airport."
London Oxford. Hmmm. My knowledge of UK geography isn't outstanding, but I do know that - whilst it is closer to London than, say, Birmingham - Oxford is still an entity in its own right. And if Oxford airport is being rebranded to take advantage of the fact that London isn't a million miles away, then what else is going to be linked to London? Are we going to have London Birmingham International Airport? London East Midlands Airport? Or perhaps even London Cardiff Airport? Because the Welsh would love that rebranding.

Which is the point. I don't know that any regional UK town or city that appreciates being directly linked to London. In fact, it is pretty much like kicking that town or city in the balls and then making salacious comments about their mother. They just don't like it. 

Fortunately, (London) Oxford Airport have taken that into account:
James Dillon Godfray, the airport's marketing manager, said the name change had been met with hostility in the university city. "Local people feel it's a snub to Oxford because they feel Oxford should stand on its own two feet," he said. "We are very proud of our business and Oxford as a destination, but this has nothing to do with Oxford."

And he insisted the change would not mislead international customers. "Fundamentally this is about raising awareness about our existence in the overseas business aviation market place," he said.
Right, well, I do have to say that if I was an international customer and I landed in Oxford thinking it was London, I would be mightily pissed off. It is bad enough landing in arsing Heathrow. To land in Oxford would be a mighty slap in the face if I was expecting to land in London. And it would make me want to slap James Dillon Godfray in the face as well. 

Still, he's right on one thing. This will raise the profile of (London) Oxford Airport. Hell, it already has. I had no idea that Oxford had an airport before I read that story. I've still no desire to use it, what with it being easier to reach London which has no less than four airports, but my awareness has been raised. London Oxford Airport exists for me now. Even though it isn't in London...

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 2:11 pm , Blogger Pavlov's Cat said...

I can see the same confusion as when Ryan Air started cheap flights to Frankfurt, sort of neglecting to mention that you would be landing at Frankfurt-Hahn airport which is actually 75 miles from Frankfurt proper.

 
At 12:00 pm , Anonymous The Moai said...

Frankfurt Hahn is 75 miles from Frankfurt. Which must p*ss a lot of people off.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home