Thursday, May 14, 2009

A resignation

Good, good:
Conservative MP Andrew MacKay has quit as parliamentary aide to David Cameron over what the party said was an "unacceptable" expenses claim.
And we even get an apology (sort of):
"Due to an error of judgement in accepting advice from the fees office I have let a lot of people down. I passionately believe in Parliament, in our democracy, and I think it is very important that members of parliament are held in high regard."
He's still in Parliament, though:
He said his error of judgement had damaged Parliament's reputation but it was up to his constituents in Bracknell whether he should continue to be their MP.
Fair enough. I do hope that the voters in Bracknell do voice their feelings at the ballot box, and kick this fucker from the corridors of power forever.

Still, this is a step forward. One down. Several hundred to go.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 6:19 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Due to an error of judgement in accepting advice from the fees office ...." Nice lack of personal responsibility there. "I apologise for the fees office not stopping me in my attempt to screw the public." F'ing statist attitude that is. "The state should define my consciense through law and ethics rules rather than me having a moral sense and a personal code of conduct." What happened to the idea that the law was the minimum standard for social interaction?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home