Thursday, January 22, 2009

Northern Rock: Bonuses All Round!

I work in the private sector and part of my remuneration package is a bonus based on the performance of my company. Whilst the company is doing ok, it isn’t doing as well as the analysts thought it would this time last year, due in no small measure to the crippling financial situation in the economy as a whole. This means I’m not going to get a bonus. Clearly, this isn’t ideal – but I balance my natural frustration at this turn of events by being glad that I still have a job and can pay my bills.

What disrupts this balance is this sort of thing. I cannot, I cannot believe that the workers of Northern fucking Rock are being paid a fucking bonus. Seriously, their company was saved from disappearing down the shitter by the government. How in the name of all that is holy (and all that isn’t) is it appropriate for them to be paid a bonus? Their business basically went to the wall, through largely shitty business decisions. It is one thing to save the bank for the sake of those who have investments in it; it is another thing entirely to pay people bonuses for being there whilst the business put itself in a position where it was on the point of collapse.

Let’s not forget who is financing these bonuses as well. The money will be coming from Northern Rock whose money comes from… us. From the taxpayer. So, ladies and gents, you are helping to pay the good people of Northern Rock their bonuses. Unless you are a total philanthropist, then this is likely to be a source of irritation. For me, this is something that pushes me towards apoplexy – especially when you consider that the fucking government, spearheaded by the Class Warrior in Gordon Brown, was talking about an end to the City culture of big bonuses and calling for an era of new responsibility. Evidence – as if we needed further evidence – that the government rhetoric is simply hot air that is escaping from Gordon Brown’s anus – an anus that is, curiously, located where Brown’s mouth should be.

Jesus Titty-fucking Christ, at a time when people are accepting pay freezes or four day weeks or even losing their jobs and their homes, the employees of a part government owned bank are not just secure in their jobs, but are being paid bonuses. Further proof that the public sector is the best place to be. Because if you work for a part-nationalised bank, then it looks like you’ll get your bonus this year. Other people’s taxes will ensure that.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 3:33 pm , Blogger Obnoxio The Clown said...

Jesus wept!

 
At 4:00 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I seriously am tempted to say that after 6 months or so, those who can't prove that they've given the whole sum to charity or back to the taxpayer should be imprisoned.

Why the fuck not? I've got a shite job, and pay a fuckload of tax direct and indirect.

 
At 9:33 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you realise the reason that they are receiving this extra wonga is because they paid the first bit of their debt back on time which I think is jolly decent of them. As we all know Northern Rock pays all it's sub prime mortgage holders a bonus if they pay on time and is so very understanding if anyone defaults on a repayment to them. Aw fuck it, I was hoping to write a pithy yet tongue in cheek comment here but to be honest the minute I wrote Northern Rock my soul just died a little more. Instead of all the links I was gonna post about how Northern Rock is now kicking all the de faulters out of their homes in double quick time and flogging off the properties en masse to shady property dealers (thus clearing their toxic shit and paying their debt - to us - the people they kicked out of their homes)I couldn't be arsed. As many great people have already said, fuck them, fuck them right in the ear.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home