Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Burn a Billion

So, the Olympics are over. I am more than a little proud to say I missed the entire thing. All the events, all the guff, all the celebrations. And I feel all the better missing the whole thing.

The only downside to the end of the Olympics as far as I can see is that sinking feeling that next time the Summer Olympics dominate the TV screens, it will also be on just down the road from me. And I just can't wait.

Now, I don't care if people want to hold and watch the Olympics - just as long as there is no obligation for me to watch them. In fact, people can pretty much do what they like, just so long as they are not spunking money stolen - sorry, earned - through the taxpayer up against the wall. And that is my big problem with the 2012 Olympics. The fucking fortune that it is going to cost me and thee.

So I have an alternative. Clearly, the government is determined to spunk billions of pounds away. So we should let them do it. Just do it in a much less time-consuming way. So instead of crippling London with the Olympics - a massive waste of time that London's infrastructure will simply not cope with - let's instead put £1.5 billion in cash in Trafalgar Square. Then, let's douse it with petrol. And then set light to it. Let's literally burn £1.5 billion. If nothing else, it will make for quite a spectacle. It will also create more of a lasting legacy than the Olympics, since we could use the remaining £7.5 billion for something more worthwhile that a glorified school sports day.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 9:40 am , Blogger Mark Wadsworth said...

You're proud that you missed the Olympics? What Olympics? Have they had them already? Shit!

 
At 10:36 am , Blogger The Nameless Libertarian said...

Yes, and I've heard that they were great. There was running. And jumping. And other stuff that is normally associated with PE lessons.

 
At 6:04 am , Blogger TheFatBigot said...

When £1.5bn has been burned and £7.5bn spent on other things, that will still leave about £11bn of the likely cost of the fiasco to be accounted for. Nostrafatbigot says it's going to be £20bn and not a penny less.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home