Saturday, March 01, 2008

The Sad Decline Of Facebook

Ok, I'm being a premature, but the number of users of Facebook seems to be in decline. One theory comes from Nic Howell, deputy editor of a magazine I've never heard of:
"Social networking is as much about who isn't on the site as who is - when Tory MPs and major corporations start profiles on Facebook, its brand is devalued, driving its core user base into the arms of newer and more credible alternatives"
I guess some people are going to be put off by David Cameron having a Facebook page; personally, I couldn't give the first fuck what that bequiffed wanker is doing with regard to social networking sites. No, I will continue to use Facebook as I always have done; to keep in contact with old friends who I want to occasionally chat to but really don't want to go an visit because they live too far away, and to join random groups such as "I Secretly Want To Punch Slow Walking People In The Back Of The Head"*.

But I'd like to give another reason why Facebook has seen a decline in users. It is the endless fucking e-mails and notifications you get. "Caroline** is experimenting with extra dill in her salad this evening." Smashing. If I ever get to the point where I care about such information, I hope someone would put me out of my misery by beating me to death with some sort of baseball bat. Some people might right something interesting, the vast majority of people really, really don't. "Mikey would like to compare movie taste with you." I already know how my movie taste compares with Mikey. He liked Titanic, and said the ending made him tearful. I found it such an excruciating movie that it made me want to go out and strangle bunny rabbits and pet guinea pigs. We do not have a comparable taste in movies. And if we did, I would like to think we would discuss it in the pub. Rather than on fricking Facebook. "Karl has challenged you to name as many eighties cartoon characters as possible." Sweet Jesus Christ, I don't think I knew their names when I was seven and it actually was the eighties. And back then, I might actually have given a fuck! Cos I sure as I don't anymore.

I know you can deactivate those updates and notifications, but I seriously reckon a lot of people can't be bothered to do so or read these endless updates. So they just don't log anymore.

Ultimately, Facebook may have been undermined by the endlessly boring updates and notifications of so many of the users.

*And I really, really do sometimes. Seriously, guys, we are in Central London. I have to get to work. If you want to walk at the same pace as someone who has lost both legs in some sort of horrific yachting accident, then get the fuck out of my way first!
**The names have been changed to protect the innocent. Well, most of the names have been changed...

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 12:56 pm , Blogger RobW said...

Slow people really fuck me off. Especially at St Pancras. Have you seen it yet -- it's a disaster.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home