Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Darling and the AWOL Data

The Daily Telegraph reports, with some glee, that Alistair Darling is fighting for his political life over the fucking catastrophe that is losing the personal details of 25 million people in this country.

See, I’m not so sure that Darling should resign over this. I’m not sure that this is actually Darling’s fault. Don’t get me wrong, I have no great love for the bespectacled, skunk faced fucker who is Brown’s puppet chancellor. But, whilst this appears to have happened on his watch, we can’t forget that he has only recently taken on the role. And who was in charge of the department prior to Darling? For a decade? Oh, that would be the one eyed, spineless runt who is now our Prime Minister.

Of course, Brown won’t accept responsibility for this debacle. Indeed, his recent Commons performance shows he is desperate not to accept any blame. His personal ring of yes men and butt kissers won’t allow him to realise that this disaster has occurred in his former department and during his time as Prime Minister. The buck won’t stop with Brown. He’ll abdicate that responsibility to Darling, and anyone else who happens to get caught in the crossfire.

I don’t think that this is Brown’s equivalent of Black Wednesday – I think, with the gross damage it did to his carefully fabricated image for competence, that happened with the election date debacle. But if this story continues to rumble on (and given the implications for nearly half the population of this country, I rather think it will) then someone will have to take responsibility for this. And it won’t be the man at the top. It won’t be the man who has run the Treasury for the past 10 years. It won’t be the man who I think is probably most responsible for this. Of that, I think we can be quite sure.

If Brown has an ounce of decency, then he won’t let Darling fall over this. But if I was Darling, and replying on Brown having an ounce of decency, I’d be a very worried man. And I would be updating my CV as a matter of priority.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home