Wednesday, November 15, 2006

The Queen's Speech

Today is the state opening of Parliament, and we get to hear the government's bold agenda for the coming months. How exciting. Or, how exciting it should be. Actually, it isn't exciting at all. Blair is offering rehashed policies at best, and absolutely nothing at worst. Blairism - the politics of procrastination.

It would be different if the Opposition had something to say. If there was an alternative to the ongoing refried bollocks offered by Blair et al. If the Tories had bold policies and strategies to turn this country around, then I would feel much happier and much more confident. But that, very sadly, is not the case. Cameron has merely warned against a watered down Climate Change bill. With wars raging in Afghanistan and Iraq, with the NHS, the school system and the criminal justice system in crisis, David arsing Cameron bleats on about arsing climate arsing control. Fuck off, David - the simple truth is that if this was your Queen's Speech it would probably look absolutely identical to Blair's. Sure, ID cards probably wouldn't be rearing their ugly heads, but aside from that, there would be very little to tell between the fag end of the Blair years and the bright new future offered by the Cameronistas (or Conservative Lite, Diet Conservatives, whatever you want to call them).

David Cameron is pretty much Tony Blair. A younger, fatter (whoops, meant fitter) version maybe, but pretty much a touched up photo copy of the clueless cretin who has worked so hard to drive our country into the ground since May 1997. And just to clarify, this is a member of the Conservative Party saying this.

Sure, I voted for David Davis last year. I know, I know, so unfashionable, but I was won over by his policies and general competence. I wanted a Tory leader with something to say, rather than a retired marketing man who wants to hug a fucking husky. For me, the point of the Opposition is to offer, well, opposition. Not hold up a bastard mirror to the government and sing "everything you can do I can do better".

There is no choice left in British Politics. The two main parties basically agree with each other - the problem is that the policies they broadly speaking agree on do not help this country at all. I believe voting is a duty, I believe people should be obliged to vote - but I can understand why people cannot be arsed these days. I am a member of the Tory party - for how much longer, I really don't know. If there was a General Election today, I would struggle to bring myself to vote Conservative, so it is a massive effort to stay in a party that I feel not only does not speak for me, but actually does not have anything to say at all.

The Moai left the Labour Party when it became clear to him that the Blairite revolution had nothing whatsoever to do with the ideals that made him join the Labour Party in the first place. I feel the same way today about the Tories as he did when he left the Labour Party. My big problem is that I cannot sit on the sidelines - whilst I will never become an MP or run for election, I like to be part of a political party or movement. I like to have a say in an organisation that has some chance of achieving political power.

Which leaves me in an awkward position. If I were to leave the Tories, where would I go? Certainly not Labour - as I have touched on before, I believe Blair is an out and out cunt and when he falls from power, his party will most probably lurch towards the left and even further away from my core beliefs. Of course, there are the Liberal Democrats but whilst I probably have more sympathy with Ming the Merciful's Freedom Bill than I do with anything Cameron has managed to come up with to date I cannot shake the feeling that the Liberal Democrats are neither Liberal nor Democratic. And then who else is there? UKIP? The Green Party?

The big problem is that whilst I may have some sympathy with UKIP and elements of the Liberal Democrats, I cannot see how any party other than Labour or the Tories are ever going to offer a credible proposition for government. And I don't want to hear about the bias in our electoral system against third parties - Labour managed to go from minority party to government in the first 45 years of the last century. The Liberal Democrats spunk away every chance (1983, 1997 and arguably 2001) to claw their way up to being even the second party. And whilst UKIP have certainly improved under new leadership (take a look at the eloquent, and inevitably sweary, case for UKIP at the Devil's Kitchen) I don't see them as credible players for third party status, let alone opposition of government.

The Queen's Speech, and the lack of major party opposition to it, just illustrates that political beliefs, convictions and ideals are all but dead amongst our two leading parties. If there was anywhere credible to go to, my Conservative membership *card* (it is more like a tasteless bit of laminated paper these days) would be in the bin and I would be leaving Cameron et al alone to enjoy their bestial, post-Blair, Husky love-a-thon.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 9:07 pm , Blogger Devil's Kitchen said...

My dear NT,

UKIP are not credible yet, but they can be. Which is why I am enjoying working with them: I get a chance to shape the agenda, comment on policy and mould their image and actually have someone at the top of the party speak to me about it.

There is a while to go yet, for sure, and things happen slowly; but there are big changes taking place within the party.

DK

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home