Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Another little piece of freedom rides off into the sunset

The heat is getting too much for me. I cannot even raise my usual ire when I think about John Prescott. I am lost in a mire of apathetic lethargy. Which is never good for a blog based on ranting.

But I did notice this: MPs trying to restrict what can be said in memoirs. Perhaps I am missing something but I thought we already had restrictions on memoirs - namely the Official Secrets Act and the Libel laws. Why do we need further ones?

The article states "financial incentives to produce "shocking" or indiscreet revelations should be removed." Not convinced, not convinced at all. The committee points to Sir Christopher Meyer calling serving politicians "pygmies" - let's be honest, whilst it maybe insulting, Meyer's got a point. In fact, his description is probably a little tame. I would have gone with "shameless self-serving piss midgets" to describe the shaved apes running the UK at the moment. The reason why the committee does not want memoirs to be open and frank is because they might be embarrassing. All the more reason to publish them, I reckon.

This is just the government trying to erode freedom of speech that little bit more. Bollocks to them, I say. If you don't want memoirs to contain embarrassing stories, Mr Blair et al, then don't do anything embarrassing. Really not difficult to figure out.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home