Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Government Enforced Giving

Longrider comprehensively fillets this pile of shite here, and I've not got a lot to add. All I would like to highlight is in relation to this idea:
The Government will also launch a ‘major campaign’ to promote payroll giving, where employees are encouraged to commit a slice of their monthly pay cheque to charity.
I would just like to point out that I already give up - without being given the choice - about a quarter of my monthly pay cheque to the government. It's a bit like charity but with me having the choice to (a) give up the money and (b) choose what it is spent on. But that's not relevant. My point, rather, is this - if the government wants me to give more to charity, they should substantially reduce the amount the extort from me each month. Economics plays a crucial part in all this, see? I only earn a certain amount of money each month, which means I can only ever give a certain amount to others. You want me to give more, Mr and Mrs Coalition? Let me give more by letting me retain more.

But this is the problem with the Big Society, and it is the logical fallacy at the very heart of David Cameron's spurious, ill thought through project. He expects more from the people of this country - he expects them to go an build a big society. But he won't reduce the burden that the state places on them. This is why the Big Society will fail. At its heart, it could be about a radical redistribution of power in favour of the people of this country. In reality, it is little more than a fig-leaf to disguise the fact that the money has run about but that the Tories are afraid of the genuine spending cuts and tax cuts that would really make a difference to this country.

So, yeah, by all means ask me to give more from my monthly pay cheque. But until you reduce the tax burden, you can frankly whistle for it.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 7:17 pm , Blogger TonyF said...

Now I have absolutely no objection to giving to charity. However, I give to the charities I want to give to, when I want to, and when I can afford it. How long would it be before the thieves of westminster turned it into a tax to line their own pockets?

 
At 9:11 am , Anonymous Michael Fowke said...

Wages are going to be flatlining for the next 5 years or so while inflation increases, and this Cameron prat wants us to give money away?! Let's see if we can afford to feed ourselves first.

 
At 7:34 pm , Blogger James Higham said...

Not a penny out of me. Not like that.

 
At 2:21 pm , Anonymous Peter Sykes said...

People should give what they can most afford, which in many cases is not money. When I was recently unemployed I gave time to working in charity shops. When I have surplus goods I donate them to the shops who I know will generate the highest return. I rarely give money, as that is a commodity I can ill afford to part with.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home