Saturday, April 23, 2011

On Doctor Who Fans

So, a new season of Doctor Who is just hours away. Regular readers of this blog will know that this is pretty exciting for me.

As with the past two seasons, I'll be posting reviews (no doubt full of spoilers) on this blog as soon as I can after each episode. And, like last year, I'm hoping that they'll be some good debate in the comments section to each review. But before it all begins, I'd just like to point something out. And it's that fans are perhaps the worst possible people to watch Doctor Who. Not least because they often seem (and I'm no exception here) to be under the delusion that each and every moment was made specifically for them. Rather than factoring in the thought that elements of the show may have been made with other members of the six to ten million people who watch the show each week.

Therefore, when we all hit elements of the new season that we don't like (which almost certainly will happen at some point) let's keep it in perspective. You're not going to like every second of every episode. And you know one of the best things about Doctor Who? It doesn't matter, because you can very easily find something else to enjoy.

Let's take an example. I don't like what many refer to as the new Dalek paradigm, or what I prefer to refer to as the Fat Daleks. Fine - that's my opinion, and others disagree. But there are countless other Dalek designs out there for me to enjoy, from the slightly wheezy Daleks who somehow managed to invade the Earth in the sixties to the design introduced so effectively in 2005's Dalek. Across over 47 years worth of adventures on the TV, in books, on audio and in comics, you should be able to find something you like. Even if you're not that into the episode on screen in one particular week.

By all means say if you don't like a particular episode (I know I will), but remember that there is more to the mighty world of Doctor Who than the current episode.

In the meantime, hope you enjoy what's coming this evening:

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 12:45 pm , Blogger Katabasis said...

I simply cannot watch Dr. Diversity Quota any more - almost every episode I've watched since the BBC resurrected it seems to, at certain points, embody 'BBCness' in a way that makes me want to put my head through the screen to make it stop.

 
At 12:52 pm , Blogger The Nameless Libertarian said...

Can't say I'd agree, but there we go.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home