Monday, August 02, 2010

A phone call recorded verbatim, received this morning at about 10am:
Recruitment Consultant: Morning, ****, I've just found your details online and am wondering whether you are still looking for work.

Me: Yep.

Recruitment Consultant: What type of roles are you looking for?

Me: Well, like it says on my profile online, I'm looking for part-time work in Learning and Development.

Recruitment Consultant: So you're not looking for full-time work then?

Me: Well, no, not at all.

Recruitment Consultant: Well, I'm currently recruiting for a full-time role based in London. Would you be interested in that?

Me: Well, no, of course I wouldn't. I'm looking for work in Leeds, and part-time work at that.

Recruitment Consultant: So you wouldn't be interested in the role I'm working on then?

Me: Given the type of role and the location are both unsuitable, I'm going to have to say "not interested in the slightest".

Recruitment Consultant: Oh. Well, how about you e-mail me if you change your mind?

Me: How about you e-mail me if you actually have any jobs that might actually be relevant for me?

Recruitment Consultant (sounding utterly unconvinced): Ok.
They then hung up the phone without another word. Didn't bother with "thanks for your time", or even with a "bye".

I can appreciate it is difficult to find decent candidates - in my wayward and misspent youth, I worked in recruitment, so I have a lot of empathy with consultants in some respects. But honest to fuck, that empathy disappears when they don't bother to read what I've put on my various online profiles about my job search. A part-time job in Leeds is clearly different to a full-time job in London. While the place names both begin with an "L", I can assure you that there are hundreds of miles separating the two locations. And that's not counting the fact that I only want to work for part of the week, not all of it.

Assuming that recruitment consultants actually have the ability to read what is on websites, I'd urge them to think about why their potential candidates write things on their profiles. It isn't for shits and giggles; it is to inform recruiters and potential employers about what they are willing to do. And, Mr and Ms Recruitment Consultant, to ignore that is arrogant and dismissive - it sounds, whatever the intentions, like you just can't be arsed to read what someone has taken the time to write. And when you make a call without reading the information I post on my profile, you run the risk of wasting your time and, far more importantly, my time as well.

Wankers.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 10:58 am , Anonymous Korenwolf said...

Recruiters appear to have a blind spot when it comes to London, in their world everyone wants to work in London, London is a wonderful place and all prospective candidates flock their.

Pointing out that I moved away from London out to the SouthWest and that I have no intention of going back confuses the hell out of them.

 
At 11:59 am , Blogger Longrider said...

I had a similar conversation with a recruitment consultant last week. I am currently looking for work in learning and development - primarily in the rail industry.

My CV - which the consultant had in front of them, clearly states that I was a signaller and signalling manager in my past. This translated to signalling engineer. I stated clearly that this is not the case. "So, you are looking for signalling engineering posts, then?"

Ye gods!

 
At 12:00 pm , Blogger The Nameless Libertarian said...

Yes, they are very London-centric. They seem to miss the point that people who don't live in London may not want or even be able to drop everything and relocate to the capital in order to do jobs that are also available in the regions.

 
At 12:01 pm , Blogger The Nameless Libertarian said...

Longrider,

I get the same thing - I used to be a sales trainer, which involves training people into being better at sales. A lot of recruiters think this means I was selling training. Which is a sure sign that they have only read the title of the first section of my CV...

TNL

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home