Friday, July 02, 2010

The New Spiderman

New decade, new Spiderman:
British actor Andrew Garfield is to play comic book superhero Spider-Man in the next outing of the film series, it has been announced.
Hmmm. I’m not going to comment on whether or not I think Garfield is a good choice as Spiderman – after all, I was very circumspect about both the casting of both David Tennant and Matt Smith as the Doctor, and I was wrong about both of them. However, I can’t help but feel that the replacement of both the star and the director of a film franchise if often not a sign of rude health for that franchise. Particularly if that franchise is about a superhero.

Furthermore, the success of the Spiderman films to date has, to a very large extent, been down to the star and the director. To lose them would be a little bit like the sequel to The Dark Knight starring someone other than Bale as Batman, and with a different director to Nolan.

Yet… yet it would take a lot to argue that Spiderman 3 was anything other than a disappointment. Raimi threw plotting out the window in favour of set-pieces showing of the latest Visual FX, while Tobey Macguire looked like a smug, puffy-faced Peter Parker and seemed incapable of playing the more malign version of the hero required by the film. And since this film – which is looking at the formative years of Parker – appears to be an almost necessary reboot, perhaps it is the best thing for the franchise.

For fans of the series, I guess we have to cross our fingers and hope that this is the Spiderman equivalent of Batman Begins rather than Batman Forever

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 10:14 pm , Blogger TonyF said...

A fictional Ginger Cat as a fictional 'crime fighter' may just work.... Ah.

I'll get my coat then?

 
At 10:22 pm , Blogger The Nameless Libertarian said...

When I first saw the headline, I did wonder myself why they had chosen a comic strip cat to be Spiderman. If nothing else, then I suppose it would have been a bold choice...

 
At 1:56 pm , Anonymous Philip Martin said...

Having typed James Purnell and twat into Yahoo this blog came up. Can I ask why libertarianism is so wonderful in your opinion but you have somehow managed to end up in 'Human Resources' which tends to do fuckall and produces no wealth? Don't you want to start your own business rather than pontificate from your comfy office niche>

 
At 4:13 pm , Blogger The Nameless Libertarian said...

Philip Martin,

I don't work in human resources anymore - I haven't changed my profile. Although the work I did within human resources did directly produce wealth.

And Libertarianism is not about starting your own business. If you want to find out more about it, try typing Libertarianism into yahoo.

TNL

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home