Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Jo O’Meara wants Celebrity Big Brother to be scrapped.

Don’t get me wrong, so do I. I hate that show with a passion. It is painful to watch a bunch of washed has-beens and never-weres parade themselves through the Big Brother house for weeks on end. The non-celebrity version was bad enough, the celebrity version is a pointless, humourless joke. Go for it, scrap it, replace it with endless re-runs of Father Ted or something. It would make me very happy. But not if you scrap it for the reasons outlined by the oddly masculine O’Meara.

"I feel if this is what a TV show does to people, then it shouldn't be a TV show” says O’Meara, missing the fact that she volunteered for the programme knowing exactly what would be involved.

"The whole thing has been so unfair and so cruel. I've not been portrayed as the person I really am." No, she has not been portrayed in the way she thinks she is. The endless footage shot by the Big Brother crew shows exactly what she is like.

The bovine O’Meara goes on to wail that she has considered suicide but was “too wimpish” to go through with it. Makes sense I suppose. Racists tend to wimps and cowards. But of course O’Meara denies she is a racist:

"I'm not a racist person, I never ever have been. None of it makes sense. I don't know how this has all happened."

Well, she was racist on Celebrity Big Brother. And the reason why “this has happened” is because she behaved in a racist way. But clearly this blindingly obvious logic is beyond the no doubt limited mental capacity of this also-ran manufactured pop star.

My message is simple – behave in a racist way in front of people, and those people will think you are a racist. Behave in a racist way in front of the nation, and the nation will think you are a racist.

O’Meara’s knee-jerk reaction of “scrap Big Brother” totally misses the point. The programme did not make O’Meara appear racist. She did. Instead of belly-aching about suicide like a recently dumped unstable teenager she should accept responsibility for what she did and live with it. I will never have respect for the likes of O’Meara with their bigoted and ignorant views, but I would find her less odious if she accepted she was at fault rather than lashing out at the programme she chose to go on and she hoped would re-launch her now utterly defunct career.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home