Friday, July 23, 2010

Iain Dale: Against Protest, Against Democracy

It's a couple of days old now, but Iain Dale has another post up about those protestors who were in Parliament Square. And it shows him at his smuggest, illiberal and most insufferable worst:
Oh dear, I seem to have upset some people on Twitter this morning. Hey ho. I can't see why. What part of what I wrote can be disputed?
Let's see what Dale wrote on Twatter Twitter then:
Going past Parliament Sq on the 87 bus. Rejoice! The squatters have been evicted. Dirty, filthy layabouts.
Hmmm. I have real problems with his statement on Twittier, but let's see how he defends it:
They have indeed been evicted.
That doesn't make the eviction right, though. It may have been rubber-stamped by a judge (although only on appeal) but that doesn't automatically make the judge correct of the law correct. It is possible for the justice system to be unjust in its decisions.
And the fact that the whole site stinks of urine and faeces indicates the people who squatted their had issues regarding personal hygiene.
Well, my understanding of Parliament Square suggests that there are no toilets there. And my understanding of camping is that the longer you do it for, the more compromised your personal hygiene will become. It isn't pleasant - especially for those who have to clean up - but it seems to be a fact of life that those who camp in areas with no toilet or washing facilities will end up with some personal hygiene problems. Which, as an aside, is one of the reasons why I don't go camping.
And I hardly think the word layabout is going over the top to describe them. What else should I have called them? Fine, upstanding members of society? I think not.
Yep, but this is pure opinion, and the concept of what constitutes a layabout is both relative and very much in the eye of the beholder. Some would argue that these people are upstanding members of society since they are directly using their democratic right to protest. They might even argue that these people are contribute much more to our democracy that preening egotistical bloggers like Dale.
Good riddance to bad rubbish. This is not, as someone said "a sad day for democracy". It is the day when the silent majority fought back and said "enough".
Really? You're really going to do that? You're going to use one of Nixon's terms (the President when the Kent State Massacre took place) to justify your tweet? Now I've got to admit, that's bold.

But this isn't the day when the Silent Majority fought back. It is the day when the Mayor of London managed to stop protest from happening in front of the Houses of Parliament (which does make it a sad day for democracy, by the way) - to the applause of illiberal idiots like Dale. This is all about an elite dictating the terms of protest, and making sure that it does not happen in their line of view. It is not a victory by some sort of grassroots movement.

And while we're on the subject, I seem to remember reading once that many of the letters sent to Nixon from "the Silent Majority" were actually fabricated by Nixon's aides for political purposes. I suspect that Dale's "Silent Majority" is rather like Nixon's - all in his head.
Well done to Boris for carrying through on his promise.
Or to put it another way, well done to Boris for doing something that Dale agrees with.

I'm not going to rehearse the arguments about why backing a clampdown on protest in the very heart of democracy in this country is bad, but Dale's objections still mainly seem to be about the aesthetics of the protests and the fact that he thinks the people protesting smell. It just goes to show how paper-thin Dale's liberalism is, and how in reality he is socially conservative through and through.

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

At 6:51 pm , Blogger bnzss said...

A good example of the tragedy of the commons, really. Rules of public land will always be arbitrary and undemocratic at its base, which is quite a contradiction...

Also you should try twatter sometime. I'm getting fed up of plugging your posts, do it yourself ;)

 
At 7:24 pm , Blogger Unknown said...

Squatting is not protesting.

I know you don't agree but that is my (and I believe many others') opinion.

Also, saying that something Iain Dale put on Twitter "...is pure opinion..." is just obvious.

And saying that just because their camping made them dirty doesn't stop them from being "dirty" or "filthy" it just provides a reason for it.

 
At 8:13 pm , Blogger bnzss said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:14 pm , Blogger bnzss said...

AGilinsky, must protests be appropriate? At what point is it not a protest? Suppose you're protesting in your own way without harming anybody else (like setting up a camp (albeit cleaning up)), is that protesting?

I mean if the problem was the presence of rubbish, there are laws which are supposed to deal with that particular problem of common land.

 
At 8:38 pm , Blogger asquith said...

"Some would argue that these people are upstanding members of society since they are directly using their democratic right to protest.

They might even argue that these people are contribute much more to our democracy that preening egotistical bloggers like Dale. "

Poetry.

Reading the initial paragraphs I was going to make a comment along exactly these lines, which is obviously known to you as well, but not to Fale.

I really had hoped that some Tories beyond the sound ones like Dominic Grieve would have grasped the point of civil liberties after what the Labour cunts did. I was hoping that, for at least some of them, there would be a permanent change of heart with regard to state power being used against dissenting views.

But I never truly got my hopes up & now I think I was right to do so, especially since my longstanding belief that Boris Johnson is a cunt has been confirmed.

Also I agree with BenS. You don't need to sit there reading & writing tweets, just have your posts automatically sent through if that's all you want to do. But twitter is something I find enormously useful for links. My facebook feed is just a transcription of what I enter on twitter.

 
At 8:42 pm , Blogger The Nameless Libertarian said...

Ben S,

Can't be doing with Twitter - I struggle to come up with blog posts most days. I can't even be bothered to maintain this site's Facebook page. I'd tweet for about a day, then get bored.

But thanks for the plugs!

AGilinsky,

Let's deal with your points in turn:

1. A squat is where people live illegally in an unoccupied place because they can't afford to live elsewhere or don't want to pay rent. A political protest is something where people try to get the attention of the ruling class to make changes. The camp on the square was clearly the latter.

I understand why the likes of you and Dale use the word "squat" rather that protest, because it creates an aura of illegality around the protest. However, it doesn't change the fact that you are both basically insulting a protest because you don't like the protestors. Which is patronising, paternalistic and utterly illiberal.

The fact that you believe this is a squat doesn't actually make it true that this is a squat.

2. In his post, Dale asks what part of his tweet can be disputed? The answer - all of it. Of course it is just opinion, but Dale's opinion is not indisputable or as perfect as his smug, pompous post makes it out to be.

3. Yes, I'm aware that I was providing a reason for why the campers had issues around their personal hygiene. I struggle to see what your point is.

No doubt that your Tory paternalism makes you think that protestors should adhere to your ideas of what constitutes an appropriate protest. Of course, that then makes you a smug, patronising apologist for the death of civil liberties in this country.

TNL

 
At 8:44 pm , Blogger The Nameless Libertarian said...

Asquith,

Automatically? How? That would interest me. If I can get the posts out to more people without actually having to do anything, then that is right up my street.

TNL

 
At 9:18 pm , Anonymous asquith (not signed in) said...

I don't actually know, as I don't blog myself any more so if there is a feature I haven't taken advantage of it. But it would be worth a look into the mechanisms. I know it's possible to have posts & tweets sent to Facebook by default.

It would make it easier for people to retweet posts, as I often do with posts I appreciate.

 
At 10:53 pm , Blogger The Nameless Libertarian said...

Cool. I'm going to have a play around with Twitter and see what (if anything) I can do with it that is easy and involves zero effort on my part.

TNL

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home