Friday, December 26, 2008

The Next Doctor

Well, I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas Day. I certainly did - numerous treats, enhanced by what has now become a tradition - the Christmas Day episode of Doctor Who.

And I have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed The Next Doctor. A good blend of adventure and emotion, it was perfect Christmas Day entertainment. It did not pause for a second, and the episode built to a sterling climax - it may yet become one of the iconic images of the series - The Doctor fighting the Cyber King in a hot air balloon over the streets of Victoria London. In terms of ambition, scope and imagination, it has to be said that Doctor Who shits on previous Christmas Day staples. Like Only Fools and Horses.

Particular highpoints for me were the Cybershades, the "Bravo, sir!" shouted by the Londoners up to the Doctor, and the Doctor grudgingly agreeing to having a Christmas lunch. And there were some weak points to the episode; the Next Doctor wasn't a Doctor at all, and as a result it felt a little like a cop out (but I suspect it always was going to). And the Cybermen were underused, probably owing to the sheer number of elements in the story. But these are minor gripes, and overall I am just pleased that my favourite TV show is being shown, on prime time, on Christmas Day. And is bloody brilliant at the same time. 

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 12:18 pm , Blogger Mark Wadsworth said...

The episode was as brilliant as all the others with David Tenannt.

The weakest bit, for me, was the fact that he managed to keep the balloon still exactly within shouting distance of the Cyberking for long enough to have a brief debate and then trick her into blowing herself up by screaming too loud.

It's a balloon, FFS, even if he were lucky enough to drift past her window (which presumably had no glass in it, or else she wouldn't have heard him shouting) that wouldn't have given him more than a couple of seconds.

 
At 1:28 pm , Blogger Devil's Kitchen said...

And what were the Cybershades? I want an explanation, damn it!

Having said that, fine work in general...

DK

P.S. I had anticipated that the Next Doctor was, in fact, a human tricked into thinking that he was the Doctor after I saw the trailer. Ain't I smart?

 
At 8:23 pm , Blogger Henry North London 2.0 said...

I have to say I enjoyed it too especially with the voice of M&S food Ms Dervla Kirwan

She screams well though

welgajog ( captcha)

Cybershades looked like the dougal dogs

 
At 12:26 am , Blogger The Nameless Libertarian said...

Yes, I think the Cybershades were shaggy dogs that have been converted. They were much more impressive that the Cybermats, for anyone who remembers them...

TNL

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home